As the tenant you are responsible for keeping of your home and garden in good condition.

This includes the fixtures and fittings and internal decoration, any broken windows and all additions, alterations, replacements and improvements (a full list is available in the tenant’s guide to repairs).

Repairs you are responsible for

The following repairs tenants must do themselves, or arrange and pay to get them done:

  • Replacing door locks or keys when keys are lost or broken, or you get locked out
  • Getting extra keys cut and gaining entry if you get locked out
  • Replacing broken or cracked glass in windows or doors unless you can give us a police crime number
  • Fitting and replacing door latches, handles, chains, bells and spy holes
  • Repairing or replacing handles, catches or knobs on cupboards
  • Fitting extra door or window locks
  • Adjusting doors, particularly when you have new floor coverings fitted
  • Fitting curtain rails, pelmets, picture rails and coat hooks
  • Filling in minor cracks or holes in walls and ceilings
  • Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and starters (unless in communal areas)
  • Testing any smoke detectors we provide (with the exception of wired smoke detectors in sheltered accommodation which Charnwood Borough Council are responsible for testing). Please ask your warden for information and/or advice.
  • Resetting trip switches
  • Trying to clear blocked basins, sinks, baths, showers and toilets
  • Replacing toilet seats and flush chains
  • Replacing plug and chains on baths, basins and sinks
  • Cleaning and removing scale on shower heads
  • Replacing clothes lines and restringing rotary driers (unless in a communal area)
  • Repairing or replacing gate latches (unless in a communal area)
  • Looking after garden paths except the main ones leading to your front or back doors and to the clothesline
  • Looking after garden features, such as patios, trellises, decking or ponds (unless in a communal area)
  • Keeping gully grids clear of leaves and rubbish
  • Replacing TV aerials and sockets (unless there is a communal aerial). If you live in a flat, you must get our permission to put up any type of aerial or satellite dish.
  • Any items that have been fitted by you as a tenant

Last updated: Mon 12th June, 2023 @ 09:48