Our repairs and investment service provides day to day repairs for your property as well as planned maintenance, major improvement works and adaptations for tenants with a disability.
Due to the current situation with Coronavirus, our in-house repairs team are currently only undertaking urgent and emergency repairs in tenants homes at this point in time.
If you wish to log an urgent or emergency repair, please contact us on 01509 634666. Please note that you may experience longer call waiting times at our contact centre at present.
If you have a housing repair or gas emergency outside council opening hours (Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm) please call 0333 200 8811.
Procedure for when an officer makes a home visit during Covid
Operatives entering your home will attempt to notify you in advance of arrival, maintain a safe distance and follow hygiene procedures, and may ask you, where possible, to move into a different room from where the works are taking place.
Full details, including a downloadable information document, can be found at www.charnwood.gov.uk/officer_calls.
No visits will be undertaken to any household that is self-isolating due to confirmed or suspected coronavirus, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household.
The list of priority repairs can be found below:
- Total loss of electric power
- Partial loss of electric power
- Unsafe power or lighting socket, or electrical fitting
- Total loss of water supply
- Partial loss of water supply
- Total or partial loss of gas supply
- Blocked flue to open fire or boiler
- Total or partial loss of space or water heating
- Total or partial loss of space or water heating
- Blocked or leaking foul drain, soil stack, or toilet pan
- Toilet not flushing
- Blocked sink, bath or basin
- Tap which cannot be turned
- Leaking from water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
- Leaking roof
- Insecure external window, door or lock
- Loose or detached bannister or hand rail
- Rotten timber flooring or stair tread
- Door entryphone not working
- Mechanical extractor fan in internal kitchen or bathroom not working
- Accidental release of asbestos
- Lift not working
- Some external works where the dwelling house does not need to accessed (at the discretion of the repairs management team)
- Some minor adaptations e.g. external fitting of key safe for tenants returning from hospital (at the discretion of the repairs management team).
If you have an issue with your gas heating or hot water, this needs to be reported via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 01509 634652 (during office hours). Outside of office hours, please call 01509 634666.
Recharges for repairs
Under the terms of the tenancy agreement it is the tenant's responsibility to maintain their property in reasonable order. This includes reporting repairs and not causing damage to the property.
Damage to properties which is not considered to be fair wear and tear, will be photographed and a bill covering the cost of work and an administration fee will be sent to the tenants, or former tenants, of the property.
Tenants who fail to pay the cost of the recharges could find themselves with a County Court Judgement to recover the debt outstanding which could prevent them from accessing credit from other providers in future.
The right of repair for tenants
Tenants have the right for repairs to be carried out as quickly as possible. Once you report the repair work we will give you notice telling you what work we will carry out, who will carry out the work and when the work will be completed.
Depending on the type of repair work required you may qualify for compensation should we fail to carry out the work.
If we fail to carry out our responsibilities of repair under this Agreement then you may be able to take legal action against us. If this happens you should get some legal advice or contact the Citizens' Advice Bureau.
Repairs during the 'Right to Buy' process
Once we have assessed your application to buy your council property and written to you to say that you are entitled to purchase your property, we will only carry out limited repair work to the property.
We will make sure that the gas and electric supplies are safe, repair heating breakdowns and plumbing leaks, and keep the property weather and water tight.
The property will be removed from any of our improvement programmes.
Emergency out of hours telephone service
If you have a housing repair or gas emergency outside of Council opening hours* please call 0333 200 8811
This number is a local rate number meaning you will only be charged for a local call.
*The council's normal office hours are Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00 pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.
More advice and information on repairs and maintenance
- Our Decent Homes scheme.
- Gas service and repairs
- Home Repair Guide (PDF Document, 12.9 Mb).
- Tenant responsibilities for repair and maintenance
- Leaseholder responsibilities for repair and maintenance
- Condensation Advice (PDF Document, 1.21 Mb)
Last updated: Fri 8th January, 2021 @ 14:39