By law, all scrap metal dealers must have a licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013.

Licences are granted for three years, but as the licensing authority, we have the power to revoke in certain circumstances.

There are two types of licence specified in the Act:

  • Site licence: lets you buy and sell metal from a fixed location within the council area.
  • Collector’s licence: allows you to travel within the council area to collect scrap metal.

You can search for a licensed scrap metal collector or site via the Environment Agency Public register.

A dealer can only hold one type of licence, so you will have to decide whether you are going to have a site or a collector's licence. We have the right to refuse to grant a licence where we believe you are not a suitable person to operate as a scrap metal dealer.


How to Apply

Complete the application form below:

Disclosure Certificates

The application form includes a requirement for you and to submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate to demonstrate that you are a ‘suitable person’ to hold a licence. Please apply to Disclosure and Barring Service using the following link

If you need telephone or face to face support to apply online, call the DBS helpline on 03000 200 190 or email them at

Your completed application form MUST be posted to the Council with all accompanying documents at the same time. You can post or drop the application and accompanying documents (by hand) enveloped and addressed to Licensing in the Council’s letter box. Please do not email these documents - the DBS Certificate needs to be the original.

Please ensure Basic Disclosure certificate (s) are submitted for all applicants named on the application, which are no more than 3 months old from date of issue.

Please fully read the enclosed guidance notes, at the rear of the application form which will assist you with completing the application form.

All applicants will be required to prove their identity using photographic identification and a utility bill. Original documentation is needed to allow the Licensing Section to carry out a manual check.

To provide original documentation, please email the Licensing section to make an appointment. The document (s) will be copied, and the copy retained by us. The original document will be returned to you.

To make an appointment please email the Licensing Team

Licence fees

The fees to accompany the relevant application for a licence are as follows:

Site Licence

  • New: £320
  • Renewal: £300
  • Variation: £85

Collector’s Licence

  • New: £275
  • Renewal: £265
  • Variation: £85

Once your application has been received and accepted as correct and complete and you have received your acknowledgment email, a member of the Licensing Section will contact you to take payment over the telephone by Debit or Credit card. Please make sure that the Licensing Section has your correct contact details, i.e. email, telephone number.  

Any application that does not contain all required documents will be rejected and an email explanation will be sent to you.

Cash and cheque payments are not accepted. Charnwood Borough Council is no longer accepting cheques with effect from November 1, 2023.

Please note an application is not deemed valid until such time as the payment has been received.

Tax check guidance

From the 4th April 2022, the rules are changing if you apply for a scrap metal site or scrap metal collector ‘s licence. For full details, visit the Tax Check Guidance webpage.

If you are an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you are;

  • Renewing a licence
  • Applying for the same of type of licence you previously held, that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
  • Applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority.

You DO NOT need to complete a tax check if you have.

  • Never held a licence of the same type before (i.e., it is your first application/grant)
  • Had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application.

In these circumstances you should follow;

What a Tax Check is

A tax check confirms that you are registered for tax, if necessary.

After you have completed the tax check you will be given a code.  You must give this code to the Licensing Section with your licence application – the Licensing Section cannot process the application without it.

Tax codes expire after 120 days. If you should make another application for a licence after this time you will need to carry out a new tax check for it.

If you are a partner making a licence application on behalf of a partnership you must complete a tax check for yourself. Your licensing authority will tell you if any other partners also need to complete a tax check.     

Last updated: Tue 2nd April, 2024 @ 13:03