Skip to content

Apply for alcohol and entertainment licences

We are the licensing authority for Charnwood and you will need a licence from us if you want to provide alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshment in the borough. It is an offence to carry out an activity which needs a licence without proper authorisation.

There are a number of licences you can apply to us for under the Licensing Act 2003, including:

World Cup 2018 guidance

The World Cup is rapidly approaching and the BBPA (British Beer and Pub Association), National Police Chief's Council and the LGA (Local Government Association) have published guidance for those licensed premises showing the matches.

Read the guidance.

Policy and guidance

Entertainment, food and drink licences are covered by the Licensing Act 2003 and our licensing policy provides an explanation as to how we will carry out our role under the act.

More information, including copies of the policy document is available on our Policy & guidance page.

Licensing fees

Please see our licensing fees page.

The Licensing Act

Entertainment, food and drink licences are covered by the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005. Separate licences are required for sex establishments.

There have been a number of changes to regulated entertainment since the Licensing Act was made in 2003. To find out whether you need a licence visit the website for guidance.

Alcohol wholesaler registration scheme

On April 1 2017, HMRC launched the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS) online look up service. This allows those who purchase alcohol for onward sale or supply to check that their UK wholesaler is registered. You must check that your wholesaler has been approved by HMRC for any purchases of stock you make from this date. Below is some more information about this service.   

Share this page:

Last updated:

Back to top