Loughborough, the largest town in Leicestershire, is located in the heart of Leicester, Nottingham and Derby.
Reopening of non-essential shops - Monday June 15
Below you will find some of the measures we have taken and are considering to help make sure people can shop safely. We’ll be rolling out some of these measures in some shopping areas across the borough.
We’re working with local businesses, Love Loughborough and other partners including town and parish councils. We also have staff out and about – our High Street Helpers – to monitor the situation and assist people.
- We have temporarily removed some parking bays in Ward’s End where the pavement is narrow so people can observe social distancing. We have installed barriers. They do not go all the way along on Ward’s End as we have left some room to allow for deliveries
- We will be introducing a one-way system for pedestrians in certain areas of the town including, Cattle Market and Devonshire Square
- We are also planning to make Town Hall Passageway one-way for pedestrians
- We’ve added a few more stalls as more traders will be returning to the markets and the stalls are staying up for the time being
- We have staff out and about keeping an eye on the situation and assisting people if they can. They are also visiting high streets across the borough
- We are also considering removing parking bays in Devonshire Square to allow for social distancing. We may need more space for pedestrians and some market stalls. When further restrictions are lifted, we fully expect some businesses such as cafes may want to add seating outside their premises.
- We are looking at introducing similar measures in other parts of the borough
Shopping and going out
The town is well served by major road and rail routes; East Midlands Airport is only a few miles away.
We work alongside Love Loughborough, the town's Business Improvement District (BID) with the aim to breathe new life back into the town centre by supporting local trade, promoting local shopping to residents and marketing the town centre to visitors.
- Loughborough's historic street fair
- Love Loughborough
- Street trading
- Public toilets
Loughborough's large selection of car parks offer great value and convenience; not only that, but they have also won Secured Car Park awards so shoppers know they are safe to use.
- Location of All Car Parks in Loughborough (PDF Document, 1.35 Mb)
Loughborough's bustling town centre provides shoppers and visitors with a fantastic range of shops, restaurants, bars, venues and services. It offers a variety of shopping and dining options to suit all tastes. Additionally there is no shortage of pubs, clubs and bars, and also has two cinema's in the town.
Carillon Court is in a prime location in the centre of the town with around 35 high street names and a cafe under one roof; it is surrounded by the pedestrianised areas of Market Place and Market Street.
The Rushes Shopping Centre was built on the site of the former bus station and is linked to the town centre by Biggin Street, Church Gate and Church Gate Mews.
Offering a mix of clothing, sporting goods, home furnishings, fitness studio and eating & drinking facilities, this shopping experience is not to be missed. The shopping centre incorporates a two level car park with space for over 400 cars.
- Disability Access Guide to Loughborough (PDF Document, 2.01 Mb)
Last updated: Mon 15th June, 2020 @ 15:40