Skip to Content

Where do we enforce health and safety?

We don't enforce health and safety at all workplaces.

Both the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Charnwood council enforce health & safety law. In general it is the main activity at a premises that determines the enforcing authority. In general our enforcement officers cover:

  • Retail premises
  • Warehouses (retail/wholesale chain)
  • Offices
  • Catering
  • Hotels & residential care homes etc
  • Consumer services in a shop
  • Leisure activities
  • Animal boarding etc
  • Child care in non-domestic premises
  • Places of worship

The HSE in general cover everything else, e.g. factories, building sites, farms, fairgrounds, quarries, railways, hospitals, schools and colleges. The local HSE area office is at:

Share this page:

Last updated: