Garden waste service frequently asked questions can be found below:


Can anyone use the service?

This service is for householders not businesses. All residential premises and properties within the Council’s administrative boundary assessed as suitable will be eligible for the Service. 

Do I have to join?

No, the service is entirely optional. If you do not join the scheme, the Council will not collect your garden waste if it is left out for collection. 

How can I join the Garden waste Scheme?

You can join online at or by calling 01509 634563 (Mon-Fri 9am until 4pm).

At the time of joining you will need to pay the full subscription fee by debit or credit card (credit cards incur an additional processing fee) which will provide you with a collection service for 12 months. 

A brown bin will then be delivered to your property within 15 days. If there is already a brown bin at the property, please let us know. 

Alternatively you may like to compost your garden waste and you can get a compost bin from Leicestershire County Council or any garden centre. You can also take your garden waste to one of three tips in the borough.

Where can I get a copy of the full terms and conditions?

Copies of the full terms and conditions are available on the website and can be provided in other languages and formats on request.


How much does it cost to have my garden waste collected?

The charge for the service is set out in the fees section at and is reviewed on an annual basis.

If you review the price will I have to pay extra if I’ve already subscribed?

You will only have to pay again when you renew your subscription. When you renew you will be charged whatever the relevant charge is in place at the time.

I have paid my subscription, when can I start using the service?

You can use the service as soon as you have a bin delivered to your property.

Once we have received your payment, your address will be added to our in-cab system, and our bin crews will know you are a subscriber. No sticker necessary.

If there is not a bin at your property, let us know when you place your order and we will also arrange for one to be delivered.

The whole process should take no more than 10 working days.

I have a large garden; can I have more than one bin?

Yes, you can have up to 6 bins but you will have to pay a full subscription charge for each one. 

Can I have a discount for multiple bins?

No, you will need to pay the same fee for each additional bin.

When can I get the service?

Customers can request the service at any time. The subscription period will cover a total period of 12 months running from the beginning of the next whole month from receipt of cleared payment.

Customers should check the “My Location” section of the Charnwood Borough Council Website for the most up to date version of the collection calendar for their area. Customers may begin to use the service from the next scheduled collection day once they have a bin. 

How can I pay?

Payment involves one single payment for the full amount. It is cheaper to pay by direct debit. Payment for the first years’ service can be made by debit/credit card online by visiting or by calling 01509 634563.

Can I pay in instalments?

No. The Council is charged each time a payment is made and it is not cost effective to split the payments.

I am on benefits - do I still have to pay? Are there any concessions?

There are no concessionary rates. 

What if I'm renting and / or am not responsible for the garden where I live?

Please tell the person responsible for your garden about the charge. They can then make the decision about whether to pay to have the garden waste from your property collected. 

What’s to stop other people in the neighbourhood swapping my bin with theirs?

Using new in-cab technology, refuse crews can now view which households have subscribed to the service by using electronic records. The in-cab system will display which properties have paid for the service and how many bins have been paid for. They will then be emptied. If the address is not on the system, it will not be emptied. Please ensure you have your property number on your bin as this will ensure your bin is returned correctly. 

Can I pay for someone else?

Yes. When you are ordering please specify the address where the garden waste bin is located. All correspondence will be sent to the address from where the garden waste collection will be made.


The Garden Waste Service is renewable every 12 months. 

What is the best way to pay in future?

The Council encourages the use of direct debits and a discounted rate as shown in the fees section of the garden waste service webpage is available for those who return a valid direct debit mandate and pay by this method.

You can request a Direct Debit instruction by telephoning 01509 634563 (Mon-Fri 9am until 4pm). Once set up, we will write to advise you at least 14 days before payment is due to be taken. If you choose not pay by Direct Debit, we will send you an annual invoice for the full charge. Following receipt of your renewal payment, your address will be added to our in-cab systems.

If I pay by direct debit, how will I know when the payment for my renewal will be taken?

Customers will receive notification of the Direct Debit collection date and amount at least fourteen days before the collection date.

What happens if I do not want to pay by direct debit?

Customers who opt to pay by other methods will receive an invoice, which is to be paid within 14 days of the invoice date. Details of the ways to pay will be printed on the reverse of the invoice.


From April 1, 2022, customers of the garden waste service will no longer be sent stickers to place on their brown bins.

Using new in-cab technology, refuse crews can now view which households have subscribed to the service by using electronic records. The in-cab system will display which properties have paid for the service and how many bins have been paid for. They will then be emptied.

Therefore, there is no longer a need for stickers which is more environmentally friendly as there is no need to print and then dispose of approximately 36,000 stickers a year. It will also make a saving for the Council which can be reinvested in services.


Can I use a different container for my garden waste?

No. Kerbside collections will only be made from Wheeled Bin[s] supplied through the Council. 

How often will my garden waste be collected?

Garden waste will be collected once every two (2) weeks (25 times per year) on allocated Scheduled Collection Day.

There will be a break in collections over Christmas and New Year. The day of collection may also be affected by other bank holidays and exceptional circumstances.

When there are changes, they will be advertised on the Council’s website.

When do I put my bin out for collection?

Your Wheeled Bin[s] should be put out for collection before 7am on the day of collection and not earlier than 6pm on the previous day.

You should remove the Wheeled Bins from the highway/pavement as soon as possible after collection.

Where do I put my bin to be emptied?

You should put your Wheeled Bin[s] out for collection on the inside edge of your property’s boundary (unless otherwise agreed).

This should be at the point nearest to the road or pavement and no more than one metre away from the boundary edge.

The handles should be facing outward and your Wheeled Bin[s] should be placed in such a way that they will not cause an obstruction to pedestrians and road users.

What happens if I forget to put my bin out?

If your Wheeled Bin[s] is not at the correct collection point by the time the collection vehicle arrives we cannot guarantee that our contractor will empty it until the next scheduled collection.

I get assistance in putting out my other bins. Is there help available to put out my garden waste bin?

An assisted collection service is available to Garden Waste Customers who meet the Council’s assisted collection service criteria.  More information can be found in the assisted collection section of The Council’s website. 

Missed collections 

My bin was out at the right time but wasn’t collected. Will you come and collect it?

On occasions, the Council may be unable to provide the Service due to circumstances outside its control. In the event that the Council misses a collection, customers must report any missed collection to the Council within two (2) days of the day that the collection was due.

The Council’s contractor records valid reasons for not emptying customer’s Wheeled Bins on a Daily Status Report including; a valid permit was not displayed, the bin was not presented, or, the bin contained materials not on the approved list and was therefore contaminated.

On receiving a report, the address will be checked against the record of valid reasons. If no valid reason is shown, The Council’s Contractor will return to the address to empty the Wheeled Bin within 24 hours.

What happens during the winter if my bin is frozen?

During cold weather garden waste may become frozen within the Wheeled Bin, garden waste remaining in the Wheeled Bin after an attempted collection will be left and will not be collected before the next Scheduled Collection Day.

The Council does not accept responsibility for any attempts by you to dislodge frozen garden waste.

The wheeled bin(s)

I already have a garden waste bin, will it be OK to use it?

Yes, but only if this is a brown bin originally supplied by The Council. 

I have a big garden, how many bins can I have?

If required up to 6 Wheeled Bins will be provided to the Customer for the purposes of the Service.

I’ve ordered an extra bin, how long will it take to be delivered? 

The Council shall deliver the Wheeled Bin[s] to the Customer at the property or premises registered to receive the Service within 15 working days after receipt of the Relevant Charge. 

Who owns the bin?

The Council retains ownership of all Wheeled Bins provided and [they] will be removed if the Service is cancelled or not renewed for subsequent Service Periods.

It remains your responsibility to safely store your Wheeled Bin[s] between collections and the service may be withdrawn if the Wheeled Bin[s] are misused.

Who is responsible for the bin?

Wheeled Bin[s] are provided in a clean and useable condition; it is your responsibility to check the Wheeled Bin for faults when it is delivered and ensure it remains in clean and useable condition.

Any Wheeled Bin faults must be reported before the first Scheduled Collection Day following the delivery of the Wheeled Bin, after this period reported faults will be deemed to be a result of misuse unless proven otherwise.

It is then the customer’s responsibility to pay the charge as listed in the fees section of The Councils Garden Waste Collection Service web page for a replacement Wheeled Bin from the Council.

My bin was damaged whilst being emptied, what happens in this case? 

If a Wheeled Bin is proven to be damaged by the collection process the Council will repair or replace it free of charge as soon as is reasonably practicable, once reported to the Council. [Please note that refurbished clean bins may be delivered depending on current stock levels.]

Accepted material, contamination and overweight wheeled bins  

What can I put in my bin?

  • Grass cuttings
  • Leaves
  • Small twigs (up to 50mm)
  • Hedge trimmings
  • Raw fruit & vegetables directly from the garden
  • Weeds and old garden or houseplants
  • Flowers

Please do not put any of the following in the brown bin:

  • Soil or turf
  • stones or rubble
  • noxious weeds such as Japanese knotweed, ragwort or giant hogweed
  • Flower pots or bags
  • Logs and thick branches
  • wood that has been treated or painted
  • vacuum dust
  • fire cinders
  • sawdust
  • food or kitchen waste including peelings
  • pet faeces, litter or bedding
  • cardboard
  • Plant pots/wire ties/seed trays
  • Plastic, glass or metal 

This is not a comprehensive list.

If any such items are present then the Wheeled Bin will be treated as contaminated.

Why can't I put food waste, pet waste, soil, pots or growbags into my garden waste bin?

Kitchen waste must not be put into your garden waste bin. This is a legal restriction, introduced after the BSE (mad cow disease) crisis, to prevent the spreading of bacteria. The garden waste collected is composted in the open air on a number of 'on farm' composting sites. Contamination from kitchen and animal waste can cause widespread distribution of bacteria, leading to outbreaks of diseases such as BSE or foot and mouth disease.

Animal waste must not be put into your garden waste bin, for the reasons explained above. Instead, please double-bag dog and cat waste and put it in your rubbish bin. Bedding and waste from vegetarian pets can be composted at home.

Soil attached to roots is not a problem, but large amounts of soil make the bin extremely heavy and difficult to empty. You can take any surplus soil to one of the household waste recycling centres (tips).

Plastic and pottery cannot be composted. Please reuse where possible or dispose of these in your rubbish bin or at a household waste recycling centre. 

What happens if my bin is treated as contaminated?

Contaminated Wheeled Bins will not be emptied and a “bin hanger” will be left to identify the bin as contaminated.

If the Wheeled Bin is contaminated, it is the responsibility of the Customer to sort the contents of the Wheeled Bin and remove all of the contamination.

The bin will then be collected on the next Scheduled Collection Day, provided all of the contamination has been removed. 

A bin hanger was left on my bin telling me it was too heavy. What does that mean?

Wheeled Bins that are considered by the Council in its absolute discretion to be too heavy for safe handling and emptying will not be emptied and a “bin hanger” will be left to identify the bin as overweight.

Overweight bins are not safe to lift and may damage the hoist equipment. 

If the Wheeled Bin is overweight, it is the responsibility of the Customer to sort the contents of the Wheeled Bin and reduce the weight.

The bin will then be collected on the next Scheduled Collection Day, provided that the weight has been reduced to a safe level.

There were some branches sticking out of the top of my bin and it wasn’t collected. Why is that?

The Council will not empty Wheeled Bin[s] that are overflowing. Lids of Wheeled Bins must be fully closed. The Council will not collect / remove any additional waste placed on, around or beside the Wheeled Bin.

Service alterations and moving house

I’ve paid my subscription but now will be moving house. Can I transfer my subscription to my new address?

Yes. Customers may transfer the service to a new address within the Council’s administrative boundary should they move home.

Use this form to tell us if your address has changed, we can then update your information on our system.

Notify us you are moving home

Please give at least 14 days notice to the Council to allow for the change of address process and ensure there is no break in the service.

When moving house, the Wheeled Bin must be left at the property and not moved.

Once the Council has been informed, the customer’s new address will be added to our new in-cab system. 

I’ve moved house and want to transfer my subscription but there is no bin at my new address. What should I do?

If a Wheeled Bin is not present at your new address, please let us know by completing the online form on The Council’s website or by calling 01509 634563 or writing to us at Southfield Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 2TN and replacement Wheeled Bin[s] will be ordered and delivered within 7 working days. 

I’m moving out of Charnwood, can I take the bin with me?

No. If the Customer moves out of the Council administrative boundary then they must notify the Council promptly. The bin remains the property of the Council and must be left at the property


I’ve paid my subscription for the year and am now moving out of Charnwood. Can I get a refund?

No. Refunds will not be given for part years or unexpired terms. 

Can I cancel the service once I have paid?

You have the right to cancel this Service within 14 days of signing up or renewal of subscription. This does not affect your statutory rights. If you cancel this Service your Wheeled Bin will not be emptied.

There will be no refunds made for a cancellation request received more than 14 days after signing up or subscription renewal.

What do I do if I want to cancel the service?

If you wish to cancel the service please complete the online cancellation form on the garden waste collection service webpage or phone 01509 634563, or write to us at Environmental Services, Southfield Road, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 2TN

What do I do with my bin once I have cancelled the service?

The bins remains the property of the Council and once you have cancelled the service, please place the bin in an accessible location at the boundary of your property where you normally leave it on collection day. It will then be collected within 7 working days.

How we use your information

How will the information I provide you with be used?

The Council will use information, including personal information, provided by the Customer to process their application and this information may be used by the Council and its partners to deliver and improve the Service.

The Council is a Data Controller under the UK GDPR We hold information for the purposes specified in our notification to the Information Commissioner and may use this information for any of them. All personal information will be processed in accordance with the legislation.

The Council may get information about you from others, or we may give information to them. The Council will not disclose any personal information to any other third parties unless required to do so by law and as the law permits, to check the accuracy of information, prevent fraud or detect crime or to protect public funds.

Where can I get more information? 

I have looked through the FAQ and still have a question, where can I get more information?

You can call our Contact Centre on 01509 634563 or complete an online enquiry form.

Last updated: Thu 26th October, 2023 @ 15:42