Heart Smart is a Cardiac Rehabilitation Scheme run by us and Fusion Lifesyles, in partnership with the following organisations:
- NHS Leicestershire County and Rutland
- University Hospitals of Leicester
- Selected G.P Practices
This page has information on costs, elegibility and how to join. For more information please contact Carol Dixon on:
- Tel: 07730 801968
- Email: email@example.com
What is Heart Smart about?
Heart Smart is targeted at people who are recovering from heart problems or heart surgery. Its aim is to promote gentle exercise as a means of enabling individuals to achieve and maintain better health.
Individuals are encouraged to become independent exercisers so that they can reap the benefits of leading an active lifestyle. Participants are offered safe and effective exercise:
- Under the guidance of qualified Exercise Professionals
- At a convenient venue in the Charnwood area
A variety of activity programmes are available including gym sessions in a fitness suite, gentle circuits class in the dance studio, walking, diet and nutrition advice and stress management sessions. The sessions also provide a regular support and social group for participants.
Who is eligible?
There is a great deal of evidence to support the key role that physical activity plays in improving the quality of life and the health and well being of people who have been diagnosed with Coronary Heart Disease (CHD).
If you live in Charnwood Borough and have suffered from or have any of the following, you can be accepted onto the Heart Smart Scheme.
- Post Heart Attack
- Post Bypass (CABG)
- Post Coronary Angioplasty
- Post Transplant
- Post valve Replacement
- Stable Angina
- Permanent Pacemaker
- Post I.C.D
Unfortunately, due to safety reasons we cannot accept people who have:
- Unstable Angina
- Very high blood pressure or uncontrolled hypertension
- High resting heart rate above 100bpm
- Erratic/ uncontrollable heart rate
- Unstable or acute heart failure
- Unstable diabetes
- Recent blood clot
How can I join?
Participants are referred for a period of six months. There are two ways to be referred onto the Heart Smart Scheme:
Individuals must have completed the 'Phase 3' Cardiac Rehabilitation programme within the last three months, at one of the three University Hospitals in Leicester.
If you are eligible the Cardiac Rehabilitation staff will complete a Phase IV referral form for you, which will be sent to our Cardiac Rehabilitation Officer.
Referral From Your GP
If you have been diagnosed with Coronary Heart Disease (CHD), and meet the eligibility criteria contact your GP or Practice Nurse. If appropriate they will complete a Heart Smart Exercise Referral Form, which will be sent to our Cardiac Rehabilitation Officer.
On receipt of your Phase IV referral form / Heart Smart Exercise Referral form, the Cardiac Rehabilitation Officer will contact you to arrange an induction.
At present only selected GP Practices from North/South Charnwood are involved with the Heart Smart Scheme.
The surgeries currently involved are:
- Forest House Surgery - Shepshed
- Bridge Street Medical Practice - Loughborough
- Park View Surgery - Loughborough
- The Health Centre - Shepshed
- Charnwood Medical Group - Loughborough
- Outwood Medical Centre - Loughborough
- Forest Edge Medical Centre - Loughborough
- Pinfold Medical Practice - Loughborough
- The Town Surgery - Loughborough
- Woodbrook Medical Centre - Loughborough
- The Surgery - Hathern
- The Surgery - Loughborough
- Birstall Medical Centre - Birstall
- Quorn Medical Centre - Quorn
- Alpine House Surgery - Mountsorrel
- Greengate Medical Centre - Birstall
- The Banks Surgery - Sileby
- The County Practice - Syston
When their referral period has finished they are encouraged to join the Fitness Suite at Loughborough Leisure Centre, Soar Valley Leisure Centre at Mountsorrel or South Charnwood Leisure Centre at Syston.
For full details please visit the Fusion Lifestyle website.
Last updated: Mon 30th July, 2018 @ 15:40