Neighbour disputes may not constitute antisocial behaviour.  

Although distressing for those involved, they are usually based on disagreements rather than civil or criminal offences, and may include arguments over normal household noise, boundaries, tall trees, car parking and/or the use of communal areas.

Examples of behaviours that are unlikely to fall within the definition of ASB may include:

  • Normal everyday activities or household noise.
  • Parking issues with no other associated anti-social behaviour.
  • General talking
  • Moving furniture, banging doors, and running up and down stairs
  • DIY and car repairs unless they are taking place at unsocial hours (e.g., late at night or early hours)
  • Toilets flushing
  • Using a washing machine or vacuum cleaner
  • Crying babies
  • Children playing
  • Groups of people in the street or in parks, unless they are being rowdy, abusive, causing damage or committing other ASB
  • Cooking odours

It may not be reasonable/possible to take enforcement action against children playing ball games unless the children are engaged in behaviour including (but not limited to), verbal abuse, criminal damage, damage to Council landscaping or / property or more serious nuisance.

What you can do to help resolve the issue

  • Ask yourself if you are being reasonable.
  • If you feel comfortable in doing so, go to the person calmly and explain the problems you are experiencing. 
  • Don’t shout or be abusive as they may shout and be abusive to you and then it can be very difficult to move forwards from this.
  • If you don’t feel confident enough to approach the person face to face, try writing a polite note explaining what the problems are and post this through their door.
  • When it comes to parking your car, you do not have any rights to the section of road or pavement outside your property; talk to the car owner and ask them if they could leave space for you to park.

How we can help

People experiencing issues over boundaries should seek advice from a solicitor.  They could also contact their insurance company or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Given enforcement action may not be possible or appropriate, the Council will generally aim to refer cases of this nature to its specialist mediation provider to try and find a way to resolve issues. and prevent issues from escalating.  Both neighbours will need to agree to this, so it is not always possible to use this method. 

Information on how the Council deals with high hedge complaints can be found on the high hedge complaints webpage.

Find out more information about noise nuisance.

How to report it to us

Report anti-social behaviour online

Last updated: Mon 25th April, 2022 @ 08:52