As a tree owner, you are responsible for ensuring your tree is safe.

If your tree causes damage or harm to persons or property you may be held responsible.

It may help you to seek advice from a qualified professional to ensure your trees are healthy and safe, particularly if they grow close to neighbouring houses or public spaces.  

Trees overhanging your property

If a neighbour’s tree or hedge is growing over into your property, you can't make them cut it back.

You do have the right to remove overgrowing branches yourself, but only back to the common boundary (eg. your fence) and any cuttings must be offered back to the tree or hedge owner.

It may, however, be necessary for you to submit a conservation area notice or tree preservation order (TPO) application. For more information visit the tree preservation & hedges page.

Trees blocking your light

If a neighbour’s tree is blocking your light you can't force them to cut it down or prune the tree. As long as the tree is safe your neighbour is entitled to allow the tree to grow continually.

If a neighbour’s evergreen hedge is over 2m high and blocking your light you can complain to us via our high hedges page as long as you have attempted all other ways of solving the problem. 

Trees presenting a danger to neighbouring property

If you feel that a neighbour's tree may cause a danger to you or your property, we advise you to approach your neighbour directly and seek the advice of a qualified professional.

Last updated: Tue 5th December, 2023 @ 11:17