If you are intending to demolish any building or part of a building which is not excluded in the exceptions listed below, then you are required to give six weeks notice before the work starts to the following;

  • The council (Building Control)
  • The occupier of any adjacent building
  • The public gas supplier for the area
  • The public electricity supplier for the area

When work actually starts, you should contact our building control department who may advise you of any special measures that may need to be undertaken.

We will not supervise the work in any way, although we are legally entitled to inspect where they feel necessary, so you will be expected to inform us when the demolition is complete.

You may also need to obtain planning permission.


  •  A demolition associated with a demolition order made under Part IX of the Housing Act 1985
  • The demolition of an internal part of a building that is, and will remain, occupied
  • The demolition of a building not exceeding 1750 cubic feet in volume
  • The demolition of a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forming part of a larger building
  • Certain agricultural buildings

The legal definition of demolition work that is exempt from the provisions of Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 is complex and the above definitions are meant to be a guide only. Our Building Control Surveyor will give an exact interpretation in relation to any specific proposal on request.

The demolitions process

Six weeks before commencing the demolition work, you should give notice to the bodies outlined above stating;

  • the extent of the demolition work
  • the location of the building
  • the date the work is expected to start.

The Notice of Intended Demolition form should be used for this purpose.

Upon receipt of the notice, the proposed demolition will be registered with us, acknowledged in writing and any initial requirements will communicated to you.

Last updated: Mon 30th July, 2018 @ 11:55