By law, we have to keep records of any building control applications that we receive for a minimum of 15 years.

Although we do hold archived applications from before this time, please be aware that we do not hold continuous records for applications deposited prior to 1997.

Completion Certificates issued on or after the 1st of January 2004 are available free of charge online using the Building Control Explorer. Copies of documents which are not available online can be provided on request and are charged at £60.00 inc VAT per building regulations application.

If you require copy documents not available on the Building Control Explorer or have an enquiry you can contact us at

Building Control Explorer

Electronic records for Building Control applications deposited on or after the 1st of January 2000 are available on our Building Control Explorer.

 Access the Building Control Explorer

Records available through the Building Control Explorer are not a complete history and must not be used as a substitute for carrying out a formal 'Land Charge Search'. No responsibility will be taken for any errors or omissions in the Building Control information obtained from this site. Any person or organisation wishing to carry out searches for property conveyancing purposes should contact our Local Land Charges Service.

Local Land Charges

Building Control records can alternatively be viewed using Interactive Maps which is linked below.

Interactive Maps

Competent person database

Competent Person Schemes (CPS) were introduced by the Government to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting an application to the local authority or using an approved inspector.

A Competent Person must be registered with a scheme that has been approved by The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Schemes authorised by the DCLG are listed on its website.

Competent Person Scheme providers send records of installations carried out through their scheme to the relevant local authority. These records are available through the Charnwood Competent Person Database linked below.

Building Control Application Reference

Building Control applications references are made up of several parts; the prefix, year of deposit, sequence and submission number.

  • Prefix – Indicates the type of building regulations application. A detailed list of different application types can be found later in this section.
  • Year of deposit – The year the application was made (YY format).
  • Sequence Number – This number increases incrementally by 1 each time a building regulations application is made and is reset each year.
  • Submission Number – If an application is rejected then resubmitted, the submission number is increased incrementally by 1. This is only relevant to applications where plans are checked such as Full Plans. This can happen several times on larger applications and it is possible to have several references referring to the same application (FP/00/0000/1, FP/00/0000/2, FP/00/0000/3).

Building Regulation applications found on the Building Control Explorer or Interactive Maps will be prefixed by one of the following application types.

  • FP: Full plans application – Plans are checked and either Approved or Rejected. Please note a completion certificate can still be issued for a Full Plans application which has been rejected at the plan check stage.

Approval and Completion Certificate possible

  • PA: Partner Authority application - Plans are checked and either Approved or Rejected. Please note a completion certificate can still be issued for a Partner Authority application which has been rejected at the plan check stage

Approval and Completion Certificate possible

  • BN: Building notice - Plans are not checked and compliance is confirmed by site inspection

Completion Certificate possible

  • RA: Regularisation - Retrospective application for works started without an application

Regularisation Certificate possible

  • RV: Reversion – Work subject to an Initial Notice which is reverted to the local authority by an Approved Inspector

Completion Certificate

  • IN: Initial notice - Initial Notice, works controlled by an Approved Inspector which is a private Building Control body. The council receives notice ‘Initial Notice’ from the approved inspector providing details of the work for record keeping.

Final Certificate

  • CF: Cavity fill - Notification received that cavity fill carried out. Historically companies carrying out cavity wall insulation were required to notify the local authority prior to work being carried out. All cavity wall insulations are now covered by competent persons schemes introducted in 2011.

No documents available

  • DS: Dangerous structure – Buildings reported to the authority as a danger to the public. Sections 77 & 78 of the Building Act 1984.

No documents available

  • DM: Demolition - Notice received that demolition is due to be carried out

No documents available

  • SAP: Standard assessment procedure - SAP assessment and EPC for a new build or conversion. This is an additional service provided by Charnwood Building Control and is not a building regulations application.

No documents available

  • RDSAP: Reduced data standard assessment procedure - RdSAP assessment and EPC carried out by us. This is an additional service provided by Charnwood Building Control and is not a building regulations application.

No documents available

  • NS: No submission - Record created where no application received or authorised for works

No documents available

  • SN: Street Naming and Numbering – Allocation of postal addressing to new builds or conversions.

Allocation Notice (where applicable)

Access to information via Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) or Freedom of Information Act (FOI)

Unlike planning applications there is no general public right to inspect plans deposited under the building regulations.

Plans prepared by an architect and deposited with a building regulations application remain the property of the architect.

Send all requests to or fill in the online foi request form for consideration and a response as soon as possible.

Last updated: Fri 29th April, 2022 @ 15:49