Being energy efficient not only helps the environment, but can reduce energy bills and benefit your health.  

Landlords must provide a current energy performance certificate (EPC) for each property they let. The EPC will show an energy efficiency rating for the energy performance of a home, similar to the ratings now displayed in shops on refrigerators and washing machines.

The regulations around EPCs for privately-rented properties is changing from 2018 and more information is below.

For more information and general guidance on EPCs, please visit.

Help with energy bills

For many, rising fuel prices mean that keeping a warm home is difficult to afford. See if you can get financial help with your energy bills.

You might be able to save money on your energy bills by changing tariff or switching to a new supplier. The Energy Savings Trust has advice for home owners, businesses and schools on all energy matters including:

  • Insulation
  • Fuel
  • Grants
  • Renewable Energy, e.g. wind and solar power 

Changes to energy efficiency standards in private rented properties

The law is changing regarding energy efficiency in private rented accommodation. In the future, all privately rented properties will need to have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Landlords who do not comply with the new regulations risk being fined up to £4,000.

The regulations will come into effect for new lets and renewals of tenancies from April 1, 2018 and for all existing tenancies on April 1, 2020.

More information is available on the Residential Landlords Association website.

For more advice on energy efficiency

We have also put together a resource efficiency toolkit to help small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Charnwood to benefit from their resource efficiency.

Last updated: Fri 23rd October, 2020 @ 08:20