We always encourage residents to buy locally produced goods wherever possible to support the local economy and to buy Fairtrade when buying goods produced elsewhere to support ethical trade practices.
Loughborough hosts a regular farmers market which showcases local food. The market is usually held between 9am and 3pm on the second Wednesday of each month.
Dates for November may change due to the Loughborough street fair.
We provide allotments for residents who would like to grow their own food and there is training and assistance available from partner organisations, for those who wish to learn food-growing skills.
- Leicestershire Master Gardeners - learn about organic food growing in your community.
- Leicestershire Master Composters - learn about composting and food recycling.
- Leicestershire Food Links - information on local farmers markets.
- Loughborough Transition Food Group - information on local food and gardening schemes.
- Food for Life - advice for schools about healthy foods.
Charnwood Action for Fairtrade (CAFF)
CAFF is a local community group in Charnwood which works to support and promote Fairtrade. It was set up in 2004 by passionate individuals from groups around the borough, including;
- volunteer groups such as the Loughborough Oxfam shop
- faith groups including members of Loughborough Churches Together
- representatives from Loughborough Students Union and Charnwood Borough Council
In March 2006 Charnwood was one of the first boroughs in the East Midlands to gain Fairtrade Borough Status, which built upon the success of Loughborough being a Fairtrade University.
Last updated: Tue 13th December, 2016 @ 09:54