A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is needed if you want to carry out a ‘licensable activity’ on unlicensed premises.

An application form is at the bottom of this page.

Licensable activities include:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, e.g. music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The process of applying is formally known as ‘serving’ a Temporary Event Notice.

You will also need a temporary event notice if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, e.g. holding a wedding reception at a community centre.

How to apply

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice by filling out the form below and sending it back to us. Alternatively if you would like to apply electronically, you will need to complete the Gov.uk form listed at the bottom of this page. 

The application must be received by our licensing team at least 10 working days before the event (please note: the date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event).

You will have to pay a fee of £21 (payable by cheque with the application form or by credit/debit card in person at the Council Offices). You can only apply for a TEN as an individual, not an organisation.


  • You must be at least 18 to apply for a temporary event notice
  • You need a temporary event notice for each event you hold on the same premises
  • The number of times a person may give a temporary event notice is: 50 times per year for a personal licence holder and five times per year for those without a personal licence
  • The number of times a person may give a late temporary event notice is: 10 times per year for a personal licence holder and two times per year for those without a personal licence
  • A single premises can have up to 15 temporary event notices applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • The total length of time a temporary event may last for is 168 hours or seven days
  • If you’re organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24-hour gap between them
  • No more than 499 people may be on the premises for a temporary event at any one time when licensable activities are being carried out. The maximum figure of 499 includes not only the audience, spectators or consumers but also, for example, staff, organisers, stewards and performers who will be present on the premises
  • You must display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen

Late applications

Late temporary event notices can be given no later than five working days but no earlier than nine working days before the event.  A late notice given later than five working days before the event to which it relates will be returned as void and the activities described in it will not be authorised. 

The number of late notices that can be given in any one calendar year is limited to 10 for personal licence holders and 2 for those without a personal licence.  These count towards the total number of temporary event notices (i.e. 50 temporary event notices per year for personal licence holders and five temporary event notices for non-personal licence holders).

If there is an objection from either the police or local authority exercising environmental health functions, the event will not go ahead and a counter notice will be issued.


The Licensing Section can’t object to a TEN. The Police or Environmental Health can object to a TEN if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

An objection must be submitted within three working days of receiving the TEN application, starting on the day after The Licensing Section has received it. If no objections are received the authorised TEN will be returned to you at the end of the consultation period.  

If there’s an objection, our licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn’t needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won’t be valid and the event can't be held. There is no hearing process for a late TEN.

Appeals, fines and penalties

If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

Apply online via GOV.uk

This form is to be completed online only - if you would like to pay via cheque you can use the form found at the top of this page. Please do not print any Gov.uk forms off and post them to us as they will not be valid and the process will have to be repeated.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

Should you encounter any problems using these forms or wish to find out more, you can visit the Gov.uk website or contact their support team at licensing-authorities@digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk.

Government guidelines state that event organiser’s should liaise with their local authority to discuss the Covid-secure controls that they are planning to put in place.

If you are planning an event in the borough, please read the advice and guidance on our planning an event webpage

If you require assistance regarding your covid secure risk assessment, please contact env.health@charnwood.gov.uk.

Last updated: Thu 6th May, 2021 @ 08:57