Skip to Content

Applying for planning permission

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that from August 8 it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, in this news story.

If you are new to the planning process you should first find out do I need planning permission?

We have created a helpful guide of what to include in your planning application. This will help you to make sure you have all the right information before making an application and could save you money later on.

Submitting an application

 You can apply for planning permission yourself or you can use an agent or other person to submit your application for you.

You can purchase any maps and site location plans needed to support your application from the Planning Portal website, and also upload supporting documents and pay fees online when applying.

Planning application fees

A fee is required for most planning applications. When you submit an application, we will double-check that you have paid the right fee and confirm. A planning application cannot proceed until the appropriate fee and all the necessary supporting information has been received.

Once you know if and what you have to pay, there are four payment methods you can use. They are;

  • Pay online (if applying via the Planning Portal)
  • Pay by phone - 01509 634570 during office hours; please quote your planning application number and the application site address.
  • Pay by cheque - Development Management, Charnwood Borough Council, Southfield Road, Loughborough LE11 2TU. Write on the reverse what the payment is for, the Planning Portal reference number and a contact number.
  • Pay by BACS - Sort code: 40-30-24, Account number: 61820559; please quote your planning application or Planning Portal reference number. You should also email a remittance advice to including your name, telephone number / contact details and planning application details (including site address), as we may experience difficulty in applying your payment to your application without this.

Checking the progress of a planning application

All documents and plans submitted with an application are normally entered onto our database within three working days of an application being registered. This information is then immediately available through Planning Explorer. Alternatively you can call the Planning Officer for an update.

If  you have any queries about making your application, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Making changes to your planning application

You can make changes to an application once it has been submitted, but major changes could lead to long delays. If you do want to make major changes, you should consider withdrawing your application and starting a new one.

If you wish to make changes of any sort to your application (however minor) you should contact your Case Officer who will be able to advise you on the best course of action. 

Share this page:

Last updated: