Any tenant who wishes to keep a pet at their home must have written consent from us before getting a pet.

We will not unreasonably refuse permission for a tenant to keep a pet, however we would consider if the pet is suitable for the size of the property and if the usage of outside areas or communal areas are required.

Reasons why permission may not be granted

  • A tenant lives in a Sheltered Unit. We will however consider requests for permission to have assistance dogs (such as guide dogs for the blind) in a property
  • A tenant has a non-secure tenancy
  • the pets are the cause of prolonged anti-social behavior and nuisance - permission to keep the pet can be withdrawn by the Tenancy and Estate Management Officer

Requests to keep other animals, such as poultry will also be considered based on the suitability of accommodation, but requests to keep a cockerel will not be allowed.

Pet Policy

Charnwood Borough Council's pet policy can be found below:

Please note: If you had pets in your home before the new pets policy was introduced and the number of pets exceeds the maximum allowed under this policy, we will not take any action in that respect unless the pets are causing a nuisance to neighbours or are damaging your home or other council property.

This does not apply if you are keeping any pets illegally, such as those banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

RSPCA advice for pets during firework season

Many animals find fireworks scary. Owners will often see their pets struggling, either frozen with fear or, in the most dangerous circumstances - bolting, rearing up or charging fences.

Read more on the RSPCA website

Last updated: Thu 20th October, 2022 @ 10:55