Housing associations are organisations that build and manage homes for people in housing need. Housing association homes are available to rent or buy through shared ownership schemes. 

There are a number of housing association homes for rent in Charnwood and their vacancies are advertised via Charnwood HomeSearch. If you are on the council's Housing Register, you can bid for housing association properties.  

Nominations to housing association properties will be offered to people depending on who is in the highest band on the Housing Register at the time, in the same way that council properties are offered. 

Housing associations in Charnwood


If you are currently a housing association tenant and would like to move to a council home or to another housing association property, information about how to do so can be found on our apply for a council home page.

Housing association tenants should submit a recent home visit report from their housing officer along with their application.   

Shared ownership (part-buy and part-rent)

If you would like to buy a home but cannot afford to buy on the open market, you may like to consider shared ownership where you can part-buy and part-rent a home. 

Housing associations offer shared ownership schemes and the main features are:

  • You buy a share of your home - usually between 25% and 75% of the property's value - and pay rent on the remaining share
  • You can buy more shares at a later stage when you can afford to.

Frequently asked questions about Shared Ownership

Or visit www.helptobuy.org.uk - many of the shared ownership properties for sale in Charnwood are advertised here. 

Last updated: Wed 22nd December, 2021 @ 13:00