If you have a mental health problem and are having difficulties with your housing situation, you might find the following information useful.

Getting help

If you suffer with mental health problems you might find it difficult to cope with problems relating to your housing situation and it could be harder for you to stay in your home or to find a new home as a result. Getting help and support with your mental health can therefore make it easier for you to deal with your housing situation.

Talking to your GP can be helpful and they may be able to offer you further treatment, such as a referral to a counsellor or specialist mental health service.

If you need to talk to someone more urgently about your mental health, you can contact the Turning Point 24 hour crisis helpline on 0808 800 3302.

Staying in your home

If you live with family or friends and are finding it difficult to live together due to problems that are related to your mental health (for example having more arguments, finding it harder to talk to each other or struggling to cope with each other's behaviour when you are unwell), you might benefit from mediation. The Bridge can offer a mediation service to people living in Charnwood.  

If you have your own tenancy and are finding it difficult to manage as a result of your mental health problems (for example problems with paying your rent or other bills on time or difficulty keeping your home clean, tidy or safe) you might benefit from tenancy support.

Charnwood Borough Council's Tenancy Support service can provide support to vulnerable Council Tenants, including those who are vulnerable as a result of mental health problems.

Finding a new home

You can apply or ask to be referred for supported accommodation. Some accommodation providers in Charnwood can support people with mental health problems to build up their skills and confidence and help them to get ready for their own independent tenancy in the future.

You can look for a tenancy in the Private Rented Sector. Charnwood Borough Council's Social Lettings Service might be able to help you secure a tenancy with a private landlord in Charnwood.

You can apply for a tenancy with a Council or other Registered Provider of Social Housing. If you have a local connection to Charnwood, you may be able to join Charnwood Borough Council's Housing Register.

Further advice and assistance

If you are homeless, or think you may be at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible for further advice and assistance. They can talk to you about your housing situation, housing needs and housing related support needs and may be able to help you stay in your home or find a new home. If you are homeless and are vulnerable as a result of your mental health problems, the Housing Options Team might be able to offer you temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to live whilst you are trying to find a new home.

For independent housing advice you can contact  or Charnwood Citizen's Advice Bureau.

The following organisations may be able to provide you with further information or advice:

Last updated: Tue 11th October, 2022 @ 12:41