If you are being released from prison, you might find the following information useful.

Getting help

If you think you might not be able to return to your home when you are released from prison, or you do not have a home to return to, you should tell the staff in the prison about this as soon as possible. The Prison Resettlement Team can talk to you about your housing needs and may be able to help you to access accommodation and/or other services that may be able to support and assist you. In some circumstances you probation worker may need to arrange accommodation for you in approved premises (for example if this is a condition of your release).

Staying in your home

If you will be returning to live with family or friends when you are released from prison and think you may find it difficult to live together due to problems related to your offending, you might benefit from mediation. The Bridge can offer a mediation service to people living in Charnwood.  

If you have your own tenancy and can return to the property when you are released from prison, but think you might find it difficult to manage (for example if you have problems with rent arrears that accrued when you were in prison) you might benefit from tenancy support. 

Charnwood Borough Council's Tenancy Support service can provide support to vulnerable Council Tenants, including people who are vulnerable as a result of being in prison.

Finding a new home

You can apply or ask to be referred for Supported Accommodation. Some of the accommodation providers in Charnwood can support people who have been released from prison to build up their skills and confidence and help them to get ready for their own independent tenancy in the future.

You can look for a tenancy in the Private Rented Sector. Charnwood Borough Council's Social Lettings Service might be able to help you secure a tenancy with a private landlord in Charnwood.

You can apply for a tenancy with a Council or other Registered Provider of Social Housing. If you have a Local Connection to Charnwood, you may be able to join Charnwood Borough Council's Housing Register. People who are leaving prison who do not meet any of the Local Connection criteria, but did meet the criteria immediately before their prison sentence began, may still be able to join the register.

Further advice and assistance

If you are homeless, or think you may be at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible for further advice and assistance. They can talk to you about your housing situation, housing needs and housing related support needs and may be able to help you find a new home. If you are homeless and are vulnerable as a result of being in prison, the Housing Options Team might be able to offer you temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to live whilst you are trying to find a new home.

For independent housing advice you can contact  or Charnwood Citizen's Advice Bureau.

The following organisations may be able to provide you with further information or advice:

Last updated: Tue 11th October, 2022 @ 12:41