If you are leaving hospital, you might find the following information useful.

Getting help

If you think you might not be able to return to your home when you leave hospital or you do not have a home to return to, you should tell the staff in the hospital about this as soon as possible. The Hospital Housing Enablement Team can talk to you about your housing needs and may be able to help you to access accommodation and/or other services that may be able to support and assist you.

Staying in your home

If you will be returning to your home when you are discharged from hospital but think you might find it difficult to get in or around the property due to a disability or health problem, it might be possible for some special adaptations to be completed (for example level access showering facilities or wheelchair ramps).

Social Services can arrange for an assessment to be completed and recommend adaptations that can help you to live more independently in the property. If you live in a Council property in Charnwood, the Council may be able to arrange for the recommended adaptations to be completed for you. If you live in your own home or rent from a private landlord or registered provider you may be able to apply for a grant towards the cost of adaptations.

If you will be returning to your own tenancy when you are discharged from hospital, but think you might find it difficult to manage (for example if you have problems with rent arrears that accrued when you were in hospital) you might benefit from tenancy support.

Charnwood Borough Council's Tenancy Support service can provide support to vulnerable Council Tenants, including people who are vulnerable as a result of a disability or health problem.

Finding a new home

You can apply or ask to be referred for Supported Accommodation. Some of the accommodation providers in Charnwood can support people who have a disability or health problem to build up their skills and confidence and help them to get ready for their own independent tenancy.

You can look for a tenancy in the Private Rented Sector. Charnwood Borough Council's Social Lettings Service might be able to help you secure a tenancy with a private landlord in Charnwood.

You can apply for a tenancy with a Council or other Registered Provider of Social Housing. If you have a Local Connection to Charnwood, you may be able to join Charnwood Borough Council's Housing Register.

Further advice and assistance

If you are homeless, or think you may be at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible for further advice and assistance. They can talk to you about your housing situation, housing needs and housing related support needs and may be able to help you find a new home. If you are homeless and are vulnerable as a result of a disability or health problem, the Housing Options Team might be able to offer you temporary accommodation so that you have somewhere to live whilst you are trying to find a new home.

For independent housing advice you can contact The Bridge or Charnwood Citizen's Advice Bureau.

The following organisations may be able to provide you with further information or advice:

Last updated: Tue 11th October, 2022 @ 12:41