Skip to Content

Housing advice for 16 and 17 year olds

Our Customer Service Centre on Southfield Road is now open for essential enquiries by appointment only. Please be aware that from August 8 it is mandatory for face coverings to be worn on the premises. More information, including how to make an appointment, in this news story.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age and are having difficulties with your housing situation, you might find the following information useful.

Getting help

The Bridge’s Single Access Point is a specialist service for young people aged 16 and 17 years old in Charnwood who are having problems where they are living. They can provide independent advice and support with housing issues and relationship problems.

Staying in your home

If you live with your family and are having problems (for example having arguments or disagreements, finding it hard to talk to each other or struggling to cope with each other's behaviour), you might benefit from mediation. The Single Access Point can offer a mediation service to young people in Charnwood who are at risk of becoming homeless.  

If you live on your own and are finding it difficult to manage (for example having problems paying your rent or other bills) you might benefit from tenancy support. The Single Access Point can provide support to young people aged 16 and 17 years old in Charnwood who are living on their own for the first time.

Finding a new home

If you cannot continue to live at home with your family, you can apply to Social Services for help. They will complete an assessment and determine whether you are a ‘Child in Need’. If you are a ‘Child in Need’, Social Services will be able to arrange accommodation for you until you are 18 years of age and a personal advisor who will be able to offer you support you until you are 25 years of age. 

Adullam Housing Association can provide supported accommodation to 16 and 17 year olds in Leicestershire and help them to build up their skills and confidence and get ready for their own independent tenancy in the future.

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you cannot legally hold your own independent tenancy. However some landlords might be willing to grant a tenancy to a responsible adult or agency (for example Social Services) if they agree to act as a “trustee” and hold a tenancy in trust for you until you turn 18.

If a responsible adult or agency has agreed to act as a trustee for you and you are ready to live independently, you can look for a tenancy in the Private Rented Sector. Charnwood Borough Council's Social Lettings Service might be able to help you secure a tenancy with a private landlord in Charnwood.

If a responsible adult or agency has agreed to act as a trustee for you and you are ready to live independently, you can apply for a tenancy with a Council or other Registered Provider of Social Housing. If you have a Local Connection to Charnwood, you may be able to join Charnwood Borough Council's Housing Register.

Further advice and assistance

If you are homeless, or think you may be at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible for further advice and assistance. They can talk to you about your housing situation, housing needs and housing related support needs and may be able to help you stay in your home or find a new home. If you are 16 or 17 years of age and are homeless, the Housing Options Team will need to refer you to Social Services for an assessment.

For independent housing advice you can contact  The Bridge or Charnwood Citizen's Advice Bureau.

The following organisations may be able to provide you with further information or advice:

Share this page:

Last updated: