Important advice and information for new tenants can be found below.

Moving – Who do I need to tell?

It is a good idea to make a list to ensure you notify everyone that needs to know about your change of address. This may include:


Rent will be charged on the property from the start of the tenancy whether you are living in the property or not. It is therefore important to move into the property as soon as possible.

For more information, please visit the Rent enquiries webpage.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is not automatic, once applied for you must make sure you respond to any requests from Charnwood Borough Council for further information.

Housing Benefit will only be paid on your new property once you have moved in and is only payable on one property.

For more information, please visit the Housing benefit webpage.

Charnwood Borough Councils Tenancy Support Team can assist you with claiming Housing Benefit. If you would like an appointment, please call 01509 634666.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) provides financial support towards housing costs and are paid by Charnwood Borough Council when we are satisfied that a claimant needs further financial assistance with housing costs and is in receipt of either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit with housing costs towards rent liability,

For more information, please visit the Discretionary Payments webpage. 

Contents Insurance

It is important you have contents insurance in place because Charnwood Borough Council, as your landlord, will not reimburse you if your contents are damaged or stolen. We advise you to consider an insurance policy which includes accidental damage covering your personal items, fixtures and fittings etc as this will be your responsibility.

If you are interested in the scheme run by Charnwood Borough Council, please visit the Home contents insurance webpage.

Reporting A Repair

As a tenant it is your responsibility to report a repair as soon as possible. For more information, please visit the Reporting a new repair to your council property webpage.

Last updated: Wed 15th May, 2024 @ 13:23