Below is some information on the support available to residents in Charnwood during the pandemic.

Charnwood Community Action

Charnwood Community Action (CCA) is a partnership between the borough council, John Storer Charnwood, The Bridge East Midlands and other voluntary organisations to help support and guide the local community during the pandemic.

CCA can arrange for food parcel deliveries, offers a befriending service and can signpost people to advice and support.

To make an inquiry, please use our online form by visiting our CCA webpage

Alternatively, call 01509 631750.

Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

To support residents whose earnings are affected by self-isolating for 14 days, the Government has set up the Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme, where eligible residents can apply to their local authority for a one-off Test and Trace Support Payment of £500. More information on Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. If your salary is reduced because of Covid-19 changes, you may be eligible for

Council Tax Support

You can apply for a reduction in your council tax bill if you’re on a low income or claiming benefits. You can apply whether you own your home or rent, and whether you are unemployed or working. Visit the Council Tax Support webpage.


If you are homeless or think you may at risk of becoming homeless in the next 56 days, please contact our Housing Options Team for assistance as soon as possible.

You can contact the Housing Options Team using the online form, by email on or by telephone on 01509 634567.

If you are sleeping rough, or are concerned about a rough sleeper, please contact our Housing Needs team on the same number, 01509 634567, as soon as possible.

Alternatively, contact StreetLink on 0300 500 0914 or visit StreetLink will alert us to homeless individuals in need of support so that we can help.

Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Your employer may be able to claim for some of your wages, if you have been put on furlough or flexible furlough because of Covid-19. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is being extended until December 2020. Find out more about the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Last updated: Fri 6th November, 2020 @ 09:16