We have a long-term strategy to regenerate Thurmaston and the surrounding comunities including Watermead Country Park over the next 15 years.
Under the Watermead Regeneration Corridor project an action plan sets out nearly 30 short, medium and long-term goals.
Some of the key objectives are to:
- improve walking links between the park, Leicester City and Thurmaston and to improve the experience of visitors to the area
- develop the public areas in Thurmaston, particularly along Melton Road, to make them more attractive for pedestrians while encouraging the redevelopment of buildings for community, cultural and food and drink uses
- improve access to Watermead Country Park, add a visitor centre, raise its profile and encourage it to be used for events
- encourage more use of the River Soar and Grand Union Canal by adding moorings and making the open spaces around both more attractive
- over the long term, encourage high-quality residential, business and leisure development near to Leicester Marina
The project will require significant funding which the borough council expects to come from a range of sources including partners, grants and contributions from new developments in the area secured in section 106 legal agreements.
Some developments will also have to be carried out by partner agencies such as Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council as they both own different parts of Watermead Country Park, as well as other agencies and the local community.
A Watermead Members’ Advisory Group has been formed which includes borough councillors and representatives from the county council, Birstall and Thurmaston Parish Council, Wanlip Parish Meeting and Syston Town Council.
This group provides a sounding board for the work being done by officers and is chaired by Cllr Brenda Seaton.
Last updated: Mon 30th July, 2018 @ 12:04